Tuesday, March 18, 2014

desires?



I am thinking, instead of studying. Pondering the complex nature of desires.

Desires really are funny... because they are so innate, so internal, sprouting from the deepest parts of a person. A desire really can feel uncontrollable because of how natural it is. But is a desire really beyond one's control? Can you tame a desire? Can you choose to kill it? And does killing it work? Maybe it will just revive itself again, even as you try to stomp it out. And the very fact that you feel that you can't control it gives it the flavor of being external, coming outside of oneself.

Is resistance futile? But passions, lusts, desires... can't you choose to fight them? You have to wage war sometimes, for not all desires are holy. Actually, I believe no desire in me can truly be holy without God making it so. Even the best of intentions can be distorted by my human nature.

I don't know. Where is my brain. It turned to oatmeal hours ago. I just had to ramble for a brief study break. Goodnight.



No comments: