Sunday, May 25, 2014

learnings (a reflection)

This year has undoubtedly been one of the best of my life thus far. (And by this year, I mean my freshman year at college.) Though it has been far from easy, I have never been so humbled, challenged, and loved. Every day has been a learning experience, and I find that to be extraordinary. The risk and novelty have been intensely rewarding. How beautiful and wild it all has been. Lots of mundane, lots of embarrassment, and lots of growth.

The word "growth" has never held so much weight before. It is a cliché, overused word... but it falls onto my tongue so heavy and deep as I see the nearness it holds to my life. Roots and branches are woven throughout the spaces of my life. This time has had so much pruning, breaking, reaching, bending, living, breathing. Things are messy. I am messy. Like a tree with untamable branches. Imperfect, knotted, but standing. Haven't fallen yet, even though there are days when I might be close. There's always hope for life as long as there are still roots in the right places.

Since I'm talking about growth, I'll share a few things I've learned this year.

  • To say I love you to my family more.
  • How to fly alone.
  • Grocery shopping is fun.
  • Living with people is both difficult and magnificent.
  • New friends are good.
  • You can feel alone in a sea of people.
  • I'm easily distracted. Not just in academics or social situations, but spiritually speaking as well.
  • Letters and care packages can save you.
  • Solitary walks are good for the soul.
  • Exercise is really, really, really important.
  • So is food. Ain't no cooking like Mama's.
  • It is a luxury to be alone.
  • Surprises wait around every corner.
  • Seattleites don't know the meaning of cold...
  • My dorm is the best. (Even if it smells funny.)
  • Church can be a beautiful thing.
  • The forest is beautiful.
  • So is the ocean.
  • And so are the mountains. Seriously. There is nothing like them.
  • Public transportation rocks.
  • Wherever you go, you'll always be far from someone you love.
  • Every good place has its faults, and even in bad situations it is possible to find some good.
  • Just because God seems silent doesn't mean he's not talking.
  • Pajama pants are the best kind of pants.
  • How to be more independent. And yet also how to depend on others. To trust them. To accept gifts, love, help, and sacrifice. It's so humbling. (That's community for you.)
  • Relationships take time. Always.
  • Communication is vital.
  • Prepare. But expect the unexpected.
  • Moving to a different climate is fascinating.
  • Hugs can be heavenly. And necessary for survival.
  • Life transitions are hard, but so good for you.
  • As a child of God, I do hear his voice. I shouldn't doubt that.
  • Family is vastly important to me.
  • You don't always have to be experienced; just be willing.
  • Hard work pays off.
  • Just because something is painful doesn't mean it's worthless.

No comments: